Cornstarch is a thickening agent most frequently used to make marinades, sauces, dressings, soups, gravies, and a few desserts. It’s derived solely from corn.
If you happen to follow a gluten-free diet for private or well being causes, chances are you’ll wonder if this product accommodates any gluten.
This text tells you whether or not cornstarch is gluten-free.
Cornstarch is a wonderful, white powder processed from the endosperm of corn. The endosperm is the nutrient-rich tissue contained in the grain.
Corn is a gluten-free grain, and no different substances are usually required to make cornstarch. In consequence, pure cornstarch — which accommodates 100% cornstarch — is of course gluten-free.
Nonetheless, cornstarch could also be made in a facility that additionally manufactures gluten-containing meals.
If that’s the case, it might be cross-contaminated with traces of gluten. On this case, a disclaimer on the label ought to word the manufacturing unit standing.
How to ensure your cornstarch is gluten-free
One of the simplest ways to make sure that your cornstarch is gluten-free is to check the label for acceptable certification.
To be licensed, a meals have to be examined and confirmed to include fewer than 20 components per million (ppm) of gluten. It is a very small quantity that’s unlikely to set off signs in individuals with gluten intolerance (1).
A gluten-free seal implies that the product has been independently examined by a 3rd occasion, equivalent to NSF Worldwide, to make sure it meets these necessities.
Moreover, you may rapidly examine to confirm that the substances record consists of solely corn or cornstarch.
Most cornstarch is of course gluten-free, because it’s made by extracting the starch from corn. All the identical, you need to search for gluten-free certification to attenuate the danger of gluten cross-contamination.
If you happen to don’t have cornstarch readily available, a number of different gluten-free substances make good replacements — although chances are you’ll want to make use of slightly kind of to get the identical impact. These embrace:
- Rice flour. Constituted of finely floor rice, rice flour replaces cornstarch in a 3:1 ratio.
- Arrowroot powder. Derived from the tropical arrowroot plant, this powder replaces cornstarch in a 2:1 ratio. Remember to whisk it effectively, as it may turn out to be clumpy.
- Potato starch. This may substitute cornstarch in a 1:1 ratio however must be added towards the top of a recipe to make sure thickness.
- Tapioca starch. Extracted from the basis vegetable cassava, tapioca starch replaces cornstarch in a 2:1 ratio.
- Flaxseed gel. Combine 1 tablespoon of floor flax seeds with four tablespoons (60 mL) of water to make a gel. This replaces 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Xanthan gum. This vegetable gum is made by fermenting sugar with sure micro organism. Just a little bit goes a great distance, so it’s finest to start out with a small quantity like 1/four teaspoon and add extra as wanted.
- Guar gum. Like xanthan gum, this vegetable gum constructed from guar beans must be utilized in very small quantities.
To reduce any danger of gluten cross-contamination with these merchandise, search for gluten-free certification on the packaging.
A number of gluten-free thickening brokers are impartial in taste and might substitute cornstarch in most recipes.
Cornstarch is derived from corn, a naturally gluten-free grain. As no different substances are required to make it, it’s usually gluten-free.
Nonetheless, some cornstarch might harbor hint quantities if it was manufactured in a facility that additionally makes gluten-containing merchandise.
To find out in case your cornstarch is gluten-free, ensure the substances record accommodates nothing however corn or cornstarch. You must also select merchandise which might be licensed gluten-free.
Alternatively, you should utilize different gluten-free thickening brokers like flaxseed gel or arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch. If you happen to’re delicate to gluten, it’s finest to search for a gluten-free label on these merchandise as effectively.